Editor’s note: Former Cape RADD Field Course student Joseph “Ok, Here’s the Thing” Qian left us this great list to assist our future students. Check out his tips!
- To avoid further hassle (waiting at a bank for 1 hour), do the currency exchange in the airport, especially if you have cash. It’s easier to use card.
- You will hit the ground running, so take care of your body, (if you have to cancel a dive, do it, don’t risk an injury). (Joseph, 10 Monster Energy drinks a day is not “taking care of your body”!)
- Try out as many restaurants and activities as possible, you won’t know when you’ll next be here.
- Do the talk at the beginning of the month, its scary for sure, but it will build up your confidence.
- Try to know some South African trivia, there’s, a trivia test on the first Wednesday. (Editor’s note: This is just a friendly pub quiz… but we do not accept failure.)
- Bring power adapters for 3 point plugs, (also find 3 point plugs for laptop cords if possible).
- (Editor’s note: There was no item 7…)
- Surge, be wary of it, buoyancy control is important. (Joseph liked to say he “got tossed around like a plastic bag in the wind”)
- The Black Marlin is a great restaurant, but it is very out of the way, WiFi is not guaranteed and the signal is bad, either go as a group, or pre-plan your Uber.
- The ocean ryder food in Tasty Table is a bit overpriced for what it actually is, if you want a full meal go for the burgers.
- The Salty Sea Dog has some great fried food (fish and chips) at decent prices, the most expensive is the kingklip and chips at R132.
- Alcohol options are meh, brandy and coke along with red bull and vodka are the only major “drinks” here, I’m a hard liquor person, so I cant judge beer/wine but I heard they are good. (Oh, Joseph…South Africa has so much more to offer!)
- The Saveur restaurant is good for what it is priced – great burgers.
- (Editor’s note: There was also no item 14…)
- Bringing your own gear is fine, if you have the clamp on octo (yoke regulator) you will need to ask Mike for an o-ring insert.
- The Raj in Harbor Bay Mall has good curry, but prep time is a bit long. I recommend going there during the weekend.
- Don’t get the 3 medallion steaks in the Harborview Restaurant, its very overpriced for what it actually is (ask me how I know).
Joseph didn’t leave any way to contact him for that last item, but we can assure you he had a great time at Cape RADD, and is now an expert on the restaurant offerings in Simon’s Town! Check back soon for his testimonial video.